London's Borough Market in Pictures

Sunday, November 10, 2013



For anyone reading this who may be unfamiliar with London's seemingly hundreds of vibrant street markets, Borough Market is just one of them, and it's a food-lover's ultimate fantasy come to life.  Coffee cup-sized portions of hot mulled wine and cider can be purchased and consumed while walking around and taking in the delicious sights and smells that the rest of the market has to offer.  Organic fruits and veggies, homemade cheeses, spice racks brimming with mixtures you've never even dreamt of, sandwiches, macarons, olive stalls, English pies, hamburgers grilled on the spot, and plenty of options for vegetarians as well; there's really nothing this market misses out on.  One of my favorite parts of the market was the section devoted to street-vendor style cuisine, covering the bases from grilled cheese to curries, and all served up fresh from the hands of a chef in each stall.  I picked up a salmon and prawn pie from the PieMinster stall, and recommend seeing what else they have out that day if you're in the mood for a warm, savory pie (the chicken and mushroom one was really calling my name, but they were out of it by the time I got to the front of the line).

So if you're ever in London near the London Bridge area, just south of the river, stop by Borough Market, if only for the smells!  (It's also the area where Bridget Jones lived, and the Globe Pub is smack dab in the middle of the market)! A word of caution, come prepared with some extra cash on hand; you'll be amazed at how quickly you can lose £40 at this place!

P.S. When I was looking back at this post, about to hit publish, I realized that a vast majority of these pictures were just focused on the food that you can find at the market, and that I have literally zero of the market itself (we can see where my interest lies).  But maybe that's for the best!  Now if you ever visit the market, you can form your own opinion?  And if you've been before, pleeease tell me your favorite stall for lunch?  I will be going back as soon as my budget allows!

Also, I hope that last picture didn't weird you out as much as it did me.  We were just sitting eating our pie and burger, when we realized there were two artists putting this creepy food sculpture together just a few yards away from us. I'm sorry if it scared you, but I felt the post just wouldn't be complete without her!

Borough Market website
Full Market hours:
Wed-Thurs: 10am-5pm
Friday: 10am-6pm
Saturday: 8am-5pm

9 comments:

  1. Ooh those macaroons look lovely! If I'm ever in the area I'll definitely have to visit here xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste even better than they look! x

      Delete
  2. Such amazing colours! !!

    Loving those macaroons!!

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This market is full of colorful photo ops. And the macaroons were outstanding! xx

      Delete
  3. This sounds like my kind of place, haha! I'm glad I had dinner before seeing the pictures otherwise I would have gotten real hungry for food I couldn't get my hands on, haha! :)

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures, looks like your day out involved a lot of food.....nothing wrong with that at all :D
    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photographs are beautiful. They tempt me to go to the Borough Market. You are a great photographer. Speaking of food I just made a delicious Portugese caldo verde.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I like the food sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post just made me really hungry! Everything looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...