Life Update: A Visa, A Plan, and a Visit to Storm King

Sunday, August 25, 2013

To state the obvious, it's been very quiet on my blog recently; darn near silent.  Blogging has had to take a back seat this month to make way for more official business.  But all is well!  To make a long story short, in exactly three weeks time I will no longer call the United States my home.  You may already know this if you've read some of my more recent blog posts, but in case this is news, I will be moving to London for exactly one year to study the Anthropology of Food as a postgraduate.  I'm not 100% sure what I want to write my dissertation about yet, but I know I want to incorporate blogging into it somehow.

This is all to say that I've spent August preparing for my trip.  I've been setting up budgets, searching for housing (I've found a temporary place to stay, hurrah!!), and applying for my visa, not to mention figuring out my course load and ordering my books all while working five days a week.  On top of it all, the reading list for my course is quite comprehensive, so I've also been trying to stick to a reading schedule.  If you couldn't tell yet, I haven't really had too many spare moments recently, and even when I have had time to relax, I've spent it talking to my sister or parents, or just unwinding watching youtube videos.  But blogging is my happy place, and it was only a matter of time until I resumed because I can't not blog now, I just love it so much.  Amidst all of the stress and anxiety lately, sitting down and writing my thoughts out here has been very calming and therapeutic.  I missed this.

So now I'm approaching the final countdown to London and am silently freaking out every day, but in the end I know I'm going to have such a good time living and learning in the Big Smoke.  I can't wait to start my new life!  My blogging will resume to normal now (I have tons of pictures and new products to share!) as I have an easy few weeks ahead, and I'd like to think I'll be able to keep up with my blog once the school year starts (which for me is October 1st).  Anywho, I hope you enjoy the pictures from our visit to Storm King recently.  My aunt, my sister and I took a day trip to the sculpture park in New York and enjoyed every minute of our traipsing.  Amazing, larger-than-life sculptures surrounded by upstate New York greenery makes for a pretty magical time.  If you're in the area, and love a good sculpture, Storm King is a Don't Miss!  In any case, I'm happy to be back.  As cheesy as it sounds, blogging centers me.

Side note: You may also be able to tell that The Non Brit has had a bit of a makeover!  In anticipation of my blog's first birthday (how), I gave it a new look and am planning to re-dedicate myself to it once more.  The lovely Lara designed and installed my new layout, and if you're in the market for a new blog theme, I couldn't recommend her more.  She's the queen of clean layouts, and she installs and tailors the layout especially for you.  You can find her designs in her Etsy shop here.

Hope you're all well, and thanks for hanging in with me if you've been lurking around!


4 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I was just going to email you and wish you luck on your move (I may do so anyway lol). I'm glad everything's working out- so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the sweetest, Amelia. And hey, maybe you'll make it over to London eventually as well? Either way, thank you for the well wishes! xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...