Mad About MAC Mattes

Saturday, June 15, 2013

It was only a few months ago that I was able to count the amount of lipsticks I own on one hand.  Now, my collection has spread out across a 24-count lipstick holder, and I'm already considering buying a second one just for my MAC ones.  It's a sad state of affairs, really it is.  One would think I'm starting a stockpile just in case MAC spontaneously goes out of business tomorrow (can you imagine??).  But there is one good thing that's come out of this recklessly-expensive lipstick-hoarding addiction of mine (besides me single-handedly keeping my local MAC in business...well..). After trialling almost every finish that MAC have to offer, I've found that their matte lipsticks are some of the best I've ever tried.

I own a handful of the Rimmel Kate Moss mattes, and while I do love them as a nice and affordable drug store lip option, there simply is no beating MAC's mattes.  The finish is pigmented, strongly opaque, and offers full lip coverage.  After a few hours of wear, there is some definite lip-drying that occurs, but it's not uncomfortable, nor is it visibly noticeable on me.  This can be amended by slicking on some balm beforehand.  And even though the lipstick does dry a bit, it doesn't come off in ugly chunks.  In fact, I've noticed that MAC's mattes (the longest lasting of any of their lip finishes) very rarely come off on their own.  In the case of Embrace Me (the bright pink in the middle, very similar to Candy Yum Yum) a makeup artist at MAC attacked my lips with some of their Lip Product Remover after tissues and makeup wipes weren't cutting it, and I was still left with a gentle pink stain (not necessarily a bad thing!).

Russian Red has never let me down either.  It's a cult classic, and although I'm only an occasional rocker of the red lip, this one is probably my favorite matte of the bunch.  It lasts for an insane and suspiciously unnatural amount of time, and has even seen me through a looong 10 hour day, complete with  two iced coffees, a breakfast sandwich,  and lunch, with no funky lipstick marks on the straw (or my teeth).

Kinda Sexy is the creamiest of the three, and one that I've talked up time and again.  It's my favorite "my lips but better" color, and one that I wear when all else fails.  It doesn't seem to be as long lasting as the other two, but it is by far the least drying matte I've tried yet, and one that I will repurchase when I run my current bullet into the ground.

I also quite like the Amplified formula from MAC, but that's another post for another day.  Do you have a favorite MAC formula or lip color?  Let me know some of your favorites.  Come on, fuel my addiction!


14 comments:

  1. Cremesheens and Lustre's are some of my favorite finishes. I like MAC's matte finish sometimes. I find it is really drying on my lips and in a very noticeable way ): The colors you have though are really nice, esp. that middle shade! And don't feel bad about having a 24 lipstick holder just for MAC's. I have one filled as well, haha!

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  2. my very first mac lipstick was kinda sexy!! its a little too light for me now :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! MAC's mattes are the best. I love how my red lip makes it through dinner without having to touch up. Russian Red is on my list to try, do you know if it's similar to Ruby Woo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own Ruby Woo so I don't know exactly how different they are from one another, but Russian Red just looks to be a bit of a more intense red on the website, if that makes any sense? Funny enough, Ruby Woo is on my list to try! xx

      Delete
  4. That kind of sexy shade looks pretty much the same as their please me matte lipstick, does anyone know if there's a noticeable difference between the two shades? X

    mollysbeautyspot.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own Please Me, so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, but Dawn swatches both in this post: http://dawndugong.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-lipstick-collection-mac.html From what I can tell, Please Me leans more on the rosy side, whereas Kinda Sexy is more of a peach. Hope that helps a bit! xx

      Delete
    2. That helps a lot! Thank you :-) X

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've tried a matte from MAC before but I've been lusting over Ruby Woo & have heard how drying it is but Russian Red is supposed to be better... I always wear lip balm underneath it anyway but I'm definitely going to get RR now! Embrace me is gorgeous & I also want to try Kinda Sexy out. x
    Beauty For Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait, I had a sample of Candy Yum Yum & also Honeylust and they didn't seem to be too drying. x

      Delete
  6. You are invited to my "International Giveaway sponsored by Naked Minerals."

    Visit: http://beauty-fulll.blogspot.com/2013/06/international-giveaway-by-naked-minerals.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love matte lipsticks! Great post!
    Jennifer

    http://naturewithnurture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dubonnet is an amplified and it's an absolutely gorgeous deep wine red, so if you're into your reds then that would be my recommendation, or Fanfare because it's an easy to wear pinky-red. Kinda Sexy looks interesting, I'll have to swatch it when I'm in store as it's one I was looking at on their website.

    Illamasqua Mattes are equally lovely, too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Embrace Me gets me every timeeee!!! Great Choices!

    Christal
    LipstickAndPonytails.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...