The Spring 2013 Nail Edit

Thursday, March 7, 2013

It's no secret that Spring will be here in a matter of weeks, and with all of the cleaning to be done, I thought I'd attack my makeup collection as well.  First stop: nails.  I raked through my (and my sister's) collection and pulled out the shades that I plan on sporting in just a few week's time, keeping Spring and warmer weather (yusss) in mind.  So, with the dark and plummy colors safely tucked away for at least another six months, I bring you my Spring Nail Edit for 2013.


The Pinks:
Is there a color more synonymous with Spring than pink?  Well...maybe green, but...OK just go with me here. There are tons of pink flowers at least, right?  So of course, I had to pad the pink polish category accordingly. Naturally, I have to start off with Essie's classic Ballet Slippers, in keeping with light, springy colors and the resurgence in popularity of pale nails this season.  Next up, Revlon's Peach Petal, a super salmony pink that just screams "Springtime", and that would look stellar both with and without a tan, and finally, a sort of honorable mention if you will, Essie's Bachelorette Bash.  The youngest member of my little Essie family is more of a summery shade than a springy floral, but I tossed it in because I just know I'll be cracking this little bottle open at least a few more times before the summer heat hits.  I mean, it's just so bright and happy!
Extra honorable mention: Essie Sugar Daddy (pictured here).


The Usual Suspects:
Is it even possible to create a Spring nail polish post without a few pastels?  Well, it wasn't for me.  Revlon Colorstay in Provence is a dusty lilac that easily conjures up images of flowers and warmer weather.  Urban Outfitters' Matte Green had to be thrown in as well, because in Spring mint is king.  It should be noted that this polish actually dries to a semi-matte finish, which looks quite cool.
Honorable mention: Revlon Minted (not pictured).


The "In" Crowd:
Have you been told enough times that emerald is the color of the year, or do I need to stuff it down your throat once more for it to sink in?  It seems that everywhere I turn, someone else is reminding me that 2013 is the year of bright, deep green, and Revlon has come up with yet another reminder.  Aptly named Trendy, this Revlon polish is bang on trend, and will help bring your polish collection up to speed with this year's color leanings. And nude nails are always in style, no?  Revlon's Bare Bones is the epitome of the word greige, and would make a great transition color from Winter into Spring.  It could definitely be this year's up-and-coming nude polish. Doesn't it just scream sophisticosity? (Bless you, Louise Rennison).


The Metallics (well...):
If there's one nail trend that people haven't stopped talking about in anticipation of Spring, it's the metallic nail. Sally Hansen's Golden-I is about as metallic as you can get, and would work well as a highlight nail, or as part of a design if you're fancy.  It's also fabulously cheap ($2.50 at most drugstores)!  Essie's Mochachino on the other hand, while not actually metallic, would still look great during the warmer weather, especially on paler-skinned girls.  Not quite gunmetal, and not quite a glitter polish, Mochachino is rather undecided as a color, but makes a great statement nail nonetheless.


The Unsuspecting Duo:
This pair tumbled out of my Christmas stocking last year, resulting in me endlessly complimenting my mother's color savvy (and the ice cubey, Estee Lauder-esque packaging!).  The bluey lavender of Urban Outfitters' Crowded is slightly mimicked in the blue glitter specks of Urban Outfitters' Afterhours.  The pair can be worn beautifully as full on glitter nails with Afterhours slapped on top of Crowded on each nail, or Afterhours can be used as a highlight on each hand.  I've worn it both ways, and got compliments each time.  Not to mention, the glitter-on-lavender combo sort of looks like a jazzy robin's egg!


Thumb to pinkie (above): Revlon Colorstay in Provence, Revlon Peach Petal, Essie Bachelorette Bash, Essie Ballet Slippers (click here for a better swatch), Urban Outfitters Matte Green.

Pinkie to thumb (above): Revlon Trendy (click here for a better swatch), Urban Outfitters Crowded (periwinkle) underneath Urban Outfitters Afterhours (glitter), Essie Mochachino, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Golden-I, Revlon Colorstay Bare Bones.

Now I'm just now stepping out of my comfort zone and back into colorful nails, but do let me know what some of your favorite polishes are?  I'm definitely not bold enough to take on two-tone manicures or sport fashion-forward designs on my nails yet, but I can at least handle a bit of color now, so put on your rec. hats and do your worst!  In the meantime, I'll just be sitting here re-adjusting my budget yet again...

20 comments:

  1. I love your picks! I would wear them all. Currently I have a coral pink on and its so bright it makes me smile.

    Wanna follow each other?
    notanobession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually wore them all at once for a few days haha

      Delete
  2. Lovely selection. I need to start getting my Spring colours out now too. That Urban Outfitters matte green looks really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too! I'm not sure they sell it anymore unfortunately as they've redone their bottle design (and possibly the formula as well?), but their color "Flip Flop" looks pretty similar to me.

      Delete
  3. Such pretty shades, looks like I need to go shopping soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pastel-y pinks and that matte blue are def. catching my eye and I'll be buying more of those for spring. I don't have any pastel polishes in my collection and seriously need some. I'm def. going to get Revlon's Peach Petal now! Very awesome post and it was super helpful! :D

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I'm so happy you found it helpful! I love Revlon's Peach Petal (it actually lasted the longest of them all on me!), and although I don't think UO sells Matte Green anymore, their "Flip Flop" color looks pretty similar.

      Delete
  5. The Ballet Slipper is my favorite, I got a similar shade with a pedicure last summer and loved it so much I bought a bottle. I am really intrigued by the "Trendy" shade. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "Trendy"! And yes, "Ballet Slippers" is such a great staple. It's on my toes right now! X

      Delete
  6. I love the look of Revlon's Provence! I didn't see that one when I was at the drugstore and so I picked up Nude Beige(a nude which I love!)and a blue one that I'm not crazy about. I've been obsessing over pastels lately, have you ever tried Essie's Bikini So Teeny? It's a pretty periwinkle blue :)

    Jen xx
    jentea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recs! And keep an eye out for Provence, I only just got it about a month ago but it. Is. Stunning. :) xx

      Delete
  7. Love the colours! My favourites are probably Essie Ballet slippers and the Urban Outfitters duo! looks great!

    Would appreciate it if you could take a look at my blog?

    Millie
    xxx

    milspiration.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the UO duo as well, who doesn't love a good sparkly nail? :) xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely colors for sure! Love your blog<3 New follower, you can check out my blog and follow back if you wish(:

    -Athenaxo
    modestlysophisticated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I love me some Revlon Bare Bones! It's almost got a green tinge to it that comes out more under fluorescent lights, but otherwise it's a really lovely kakhi. :) xx

      Delete
  10. Hello! Came to say hi after you came over to my blog and loving what I'm seeing so far! Going to have a dig around some of your old posts now with my glass of wine in hand ;)! Loving that Revlon Provence colour and the Essie mochachino.

    Sophie xx
    duckandegg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, welcome! You are the actual best; happy digging :) x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...