A Favorite Base: MAC Pro Longwear and Trace Gold

Sunday, March 3, 2013


I'm back!  And I've literally been falling off my seat waiting to talk to you guys about these products, both of which were picked up from MAC early last week.  It should be mentioned as a reminder that I have decidedly combination skin that gets oily throughout the day around my nose, and that stays annoyingly dry and flakey between my brows.  I also have quite a few freckles sprinkled across my nose and cheeks.  Now this is not to say that I don't love my freckles, but I judge the coverage of a foundation on how well it conceals them, and baby, this foundation definitely falls along the higher end of the coverage scale.

MAC Pro Longwear foundation ($31, I wear NC30) is not a full coverage foundation, and is not marketed as such, but it provides a great medium coverage initially that can be built upon and made fuller.  I have wanted to try a MAC foundation since I got into makeup three years ago, but somehow never made it to a counter for that purpose.  So when I finally decided that the time had come, I knew I wanted a medium to full coverage foundation (just because that's what I like) that could keep up with my semi-oily skin, and well, let's just say they don't call it MAC Pro Longwear for nothing!  It used to be that my foundation seemed to have slipped off my face quite a bit by the end of the day, or had gone patchy, but after switching to Pro Longwear, that problem has become a thing of the past.  My foundation now looks essentially the same as I applied it after 10 hours of wear, and for me that is nothing short of a miracle.  Now, as you may be able to tell by my forehead in the third picture, this foundation can get a bit cakey around the dry areas of your face if you're not careful, but the problem can be solved with some spot exfoliation and a good moisturizer a few minutes prior to application.  I apply with my Real Techniques Expert Face brush for a flawless finish, or the RT Stippling brush for a more natural one.

The second half of this new base combination I've been exhausting of late is MAC Trace Gold blush ($21), which is a shimmery golden color that doesn't read as shimmery on the cheeks.  I've been using this to chisel my face, and while I still haven't quite worked out the best brush for the job, I've been loving the "faux-cheekbone" effect it gives.  I mean, why get plastic surgery when you can just blend some blush down your cheeks, amirite??  I apply with my dense Crown face brush.  To top it all off, I've been absolutely addicted to highlighting with Benefit's High Beam (not pictured).

I'd love to know some of your favorite base combos, be they dewey or matte, chiseled, or otherwise!  What are some of your go-to daily foundation combinations?

*I thought I'd include at the end here a kind of personal disclaimer for my unusually long time between posts, and that is that this new job of mine has become far more stressful than is warranted.  I feel that my time and my self-worth are not being respected, and that has taken a mental toll to the point where I have already started the search for other work.  I feel so uninspired when I get home, that I fear I've lost my blogging juices, and that's horribly frightening as this blog is by far my favorite hobby and outlet.  I just don't think my high stress levels are worth what they're paying me!  Maybe my blog isn't the best place for me to talk about this, but I love you guys and value your input.  I have plenty of pictures taken that are just waiting for words to appear under them, so barring any more uncreative periods, this post should be the first in a string of many more to come in the near future.  I don't want to let something I can't stand get in the way of something I've come to love.

* Both items were purchased with the MAC Pro discount so I paid 70% of the original price.

13 comments:

  1. Heard a lot of hype about that MAC foundation!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so pretty. Pro Longwear is one of my faves x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's all I've worn for the past two weeks! xx

      Delete
  3. I've not used a MAC foundation for years but I might have to give this one a go after reading your review. I find the Laura Mercier Silk Creme works well on oily skin for a medium, buildable coverage but I have an unhealthy habit for collecting bases - a girl can never have too much choice right?! x Becky

    cosmeticdebris.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec! And I'm in complete agreement, a girl can never have too many bases ;)

      Delete
  4. So pretty! I'd love to try the pro longwear foundation, but I've bought so many recently I think I need to just stick to one! (which would be silk creme!!)

    I've just posted a review of Barry M's Gelly Hi-Shine in Blueberry on Black & Gold!

    Laura xx - Black & Gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see an update from you, and that nail color is so fresh and springy! Btw, I know what you mean about having too many bases, but ughh I just can't seem to stop buying them! It's like I'm on some weird quest to find the perfect base (aren't we all). :) xx

      Delete
  5. Your makeup is gorgeous, you look so pretty! I have way to many bases

    A little bit Unique

    x


    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Pro Long Wear! It looks great on you. Ps. Sorry about your job :-( Hope you find something more rewarding soon :-)

    xx Christal xx
    LipstickAndPonytails.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christal, I'm hoping I don't have to search for too long! :)

      Delete
  7. Love the sound of the foundation.
    Would love you to check out my latest outfit post :)
    Have a fab Tuesday Hun xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...