Beauty in a Pinch | Lipstick as Cream Blusher?!?

Sunday, February 10, 2013


While I admit this is not much of a revolutionary technique in the beauty world, I think it's one that is often overlooked, and one that deserves much more use than it gets in my own makeup routine.  Known to me as "Grandma's blush", this trick is resourceful and saves you a penny or two in the long run.  

The way my mom tells it, my grandmother was always put together and never left the house without her makeup done, but raising six children in 1950s New York meant that she didn't always have the money for fancy cosmetics, and blush wasn't high up on the list of priorities.  So she did what a lot of women did back then, and rubbed lipstick into her cheeks.  I mean if you think about it, lipstick and cream blusher are essentially the same thing, they just come in different shapes.  I find that this technique works much better than I'd imagined, and the color lasts quite well.  I tend to stick to matte shades, or formulas with minimal glitter, and have found my favorite so far to be MAC's Creme in Your Coffee.  For hygiene reasons, I tend to either rub some of the lipstick onto the back of my hand, or just take some on my finger and dot it onto my cheeks, then blend in with my Real Techniques Expert Face brush.  You may find you need to apply a bit more, depending on the sheerness of the lipstick.  And you're done!  Simples.

Once you start looking at your lipsticks as potential rouge, you might find that you've got a whole new wardrobe of blushers to work with!  Do you use this trick at home?  If so, what are some of your favorite lipsticks to use?


14 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I must try it. I thought that you were using MAC's Plumful at first, I think that would look really nice as it's a plummy pink, great for autumn!

    Laura xx Black & Gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be another good one to try, it's on my wish list! x

      Delete
  2. I've done it in a pinch. Your image quality is so amazing, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Coco, that means so much as I've always enjoyed your pictures! x

      Delete
  3. this is an awesome idea :)
    I love this post!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely good to try if you're in the mood to mix it up! x

      Delete
  4. I love this idea! Would try it out but all my lip shades are like WAM BAM colors that I don't think would transfer very well, LOL
    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh well, maybe you can sheer them out a little? :)

      Delete
  5. I've never tried this but I've heard of it before. Looks great!

    xx Christal xx
    LipstickAndPonytails.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could find some gems in your collection that would work beautifully! x

      Delete
  6. Great colour! Mac lipsticks are my absolute favourite xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why have I never thought of this?!?!?! I mean, in a ton of posts and tutorials I see where people use cream blush on their lips and cheeks and it's like "well yeah, obviously" but smearing lipstick on your cheeks - MIND EXPLOSION. Definitely trying this with some of my neutral pinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haahahaha, sorry for bursting your brain up! You'll have to let me know how you get on :)

      Delete
  8. such a lovely lip colour ;}x

    http://throughartrelatedtofashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...