Inspired by Beauty...Bloggers | Aromatherapy Associates

Friday, February 22, 2013


We all do it.  You're watching the monthly slew of favorites videos (or reading the blog posts!), and before you know it your wish list has grown by twenty items, your makeup collection gets a bit cozier, and your wallet is feeling noticeably lighter. This is a pretty common occurrence for me now, and I thought what better way to justify these completely unnecessary and impulse purchases than by dedicating a series to them here on my blog? Plus, you'll get to see who my biggest enablers are!

Now I'm sure you're all familiar with my love for Anna and her blog (which I read every morning over breakfast) at this point, so it should come as no surprise that I made a recent purchase completely influenced by her supremely convincing words on the subject.  You may remember her waxing lyrical about her Aromatherapy Associates (here on referred to as AA) bath and shower oils in the past?  Needless to say, I whacked them straight onto my wish list and waited for the perfect opportunity to snatch them up.  That opportunity finally came months later when I found myself the lucky owner of a sizable Amazon gift card (thank you, Amazon buy-back!). To make a long story short, this gorgeous collection of mini bath oils arrived on my doorstep early last week, and I've been taking an inordinate amount of baths ever since...

The box features small, 3mL gold-capped bottles containing all nine of the company's signature bath oils.  I've just about tried them all, and I have to say that "De-Stress Mind" is gooooorgeous and is my absolute favorite (as if you couldn't tell).  The different blends all have varying and extremely fragrant scent profiles, and as an added benefit, bathing in oil means softer skin!  Ladies and gentlemen, I believe a rave is in order.  Here's a quick run-down of all of the nine oils and their main fragrance notes:


Relax Light: Lavender, ylang ylang, and petitgrain combine to create a relaxing, earthy, and ever so slightly floral scent.  According to AA, this essential oil blend can help ease tension headaches, and uplift the senses from the usual stresses of a busy life.  A calming way to unwind at night.

Relax Deep: Like falling into the most comfortable bed of my life, the deeply earthy blend of vetiver, camomile and sandalwood made me audibly "ooh" and "aaah" as I stretched out in the tub.  Needless to say, I had no trouble falling asleep following this deeply relaxing bath.

DeStress Mind: By far my favorite of the bunch, although I do find it needs a few more drops than the others to create an aromatic bath experience (literally just two drops though).  The oils of camomile, petitgrain and frankincense found in this bottle made me absolutely forget about all of my worries (a feat in itself!).  AA claims mind-clearing and thought-focusing benefits, and I find it hard to argue with them.

DeStress Muscle: If your job keeps you on your feet for more than four hours a day, this blend of rosemary, lavender, and ginger essential oils (are you not relaxing already??) will be the light at the end of the never-ending work day tunnel.  Retail workers and gym rats rejoice!  Breathing in the beautifully scented water helped lift some of the mental fatigue that comes with having a tired body.  AA also claim that the use of this oil can help ease stiffness and joint pain.  If I had to choose a favorite line, it would definitely be DeStress.

Revive Morning: This is the only oil I haven't tried yet, as I never take morning baths, and I can't seem to figure out how best to use these oils in the shower.  The smell is amazing, very minty, citrusy and energizing (grapefruit, rosemary, and juniper berry, I wasn't that far off!), and I could see getting a ton of use out of this one if it came in a shower gel for those bleary-eyed morning showers I'm not so fond of.  WAIT..stop.  It does come in a shower gel.  Prayers. Answered.

Revive Evening: This is the deeper, more intense cousin of Revive Morning, and contains geranium, ylang ylang, and (stay with me here) patchouli.  Now, it is well known amongst my family and friends that I detest patchouli with a passion, but mixed into this essential oil blend, I could honestly tolerate it.  This is quite an invigorating scent that I dare I say it really sort of like a lot, and could see it being immensely useful for getting you into the right frame of mind for a long evening ahead.

Support Breathe: A brilliant blend to use when sick!  I have been bogged down with cold symptoms for the past two weeks, give or take a day, and my sinuses had a restful reprieve during this Supportive bath.  The oils of eucalyptus, pine and tea tree are all quite refreshing, and AA even recommends slathering some of the oil onto your chest before jumping (well, maybe not jumping) into the shower for your very own "steam inhalation". According to AA, the Support line was created for times "when the going gets tough, but you've got to keep going" (hello me, every day for the past two weeks).

Support Equilibrium: With a name like "equilibrium", I wasn't initially sure what kind of aromatherapy benefits I could expect from this oil blend, but after reading AA's little blurb on their site (and after another thoroughly relaxing bath), I understood that the blend of frankincense, geranium and rose was meant to lift the spirits during times of intense stress.  This bath was really exceptional, and whilst my life is not at all in upheaval, I can always benefit from more positive thinking (something this blend of oils is meant to promote).

Support Lavender and Peppermint: When I first cracked this bottle open, I was amazed.  Not only do lavender and peppermint go surprisingly well together, but this lavender scent smells identical to actual lavender bushes.  A supremely summery scent, I could see this being a nice getaway bath in the middle of a hot, humid day.  AA agrees, and says this oil is best used in a sticky climate, and can help ease a sunburn.  Bathing with this oil had me pining for June more than ever!

Now, whether you believe in aromatherapy benefits or not, if you enter an oil-infused bath with an open-mind, you may just exit with a calmer one.  And while a full-sized bottle of one of these oils will set you back about the price of a nice perfume ($63 USD), starting with the small sampler set ($56 USD) is a great introduction to the brand, and allows you the opportunity to try before you buy (a full sized bottle, that is).  Judging by how much I've used at this point, you can get about four baths per bottle (AA say only one bath per bottle, but I don't think I'd be able to breathe if I used that much!).  I would also recommend using a pipette with these, as the pouring process can get a little messy.

I'm so grateful to Anna for mentioning these oils when she did, as I can easily say this is the best purchase I've made all year (yes, I'm well aware it's only February).  To that point, if you are at all skeptical about aromatherapy and its many benefits, a bath with any one of these oils may well change your mind.  I honestly can't say anything bad about this collection; it is the ultimate addition to bath time relaxation.  To read more about the nine oils offered, Aromatherapy Associates puts it all in nice bulleted format here.  I'm not usually one for a complete rave, but well...there's a first time for everything!

3 comments:

  1. I've also fallen into the beauty blogger hype quite a few times! Essie Button is my biggest influence by far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM! Those oils look so wonderful! I love Aveda product so I will probably be jogging on down to the Aveda shop quite soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the look of them! They're actually from a company called Aromatherapy Associates, but the oils do smell a lot like the products you can find at Aveda :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...