Urban Decay's Naked Skin Beauty Balm

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

While I've not wanted to admit it to myself for some time, I've realized just now that I am well and truly addicted to buying makeup (shocker).  It seems I can't go a week without dipping into my paycheck to bring home a new lipstick or eyeshadow or blush to pad my plump and ever-growing collection.  This past week's addition was a new offering from Urban Decay's Naked range, and was also my virgin venture into the world of Beauty Balms (or BB creams).  From the jump, UD makes some pretty hefty promises straight off the packaging itself, although whether or not they deliver is up to interpretation.

UD's newest skin offering made its way into my basket last week when I was having a bit of a browse around Sephora.  I had been stalking new bases for weeks, but couldn't decide if I wanted the fuller coverage of a foundation, or to jump feet first into the world of tinted moisturizers.  Always being a bit more of a foundation girl myself (NARS Sheerglow was my first ever high end makeup purchase), I wasn't quite sure where to start when on the hunt for a tinted moisturizer, but after literally swatching all over what seemed like my entire face, I decided I wanted to try more of a sheer coverage.  As I was milling about the Urban Decay counter, a saleswoman read the sign I apparently have hanging from my neck that says "Tell me something's new, and I'll probably buy it", because she immediately rushed towards me, exclaiming about the new UD "Flushed" blush and bronzer palette.  After oogling the palette for a bit too long, and realizing that a song and dance probably wouldn't fly as a form of payment, I shot over to checkout, Beauty Balm in hand, before I could find something else to buy that I didn't need.

In terms of the the Beauty Balm's performance, UD makes several strong promises; minimized pores, fewer wrinkles, and instantly reduced redness.  Sounds like a beauty maven's jackpot, no?  All sort of fit under UD's borderline gimmicky category of "Optical Blurring".  The "DNA Repair" bit comes in the form of firmer skin after 8 weeks of use.  Obviously I cannot comment on that bit, as I've only been testing it for about a week or so now, but after applying with fingers, a smattering of different brushes, and with and without a primer, I've determined that it's best buffed in (I used the love of my life, my Real Techniques expert face brush) on top of my Clarin's Instant Smooth primer for optimal pore reduction.  After application, my skin was definitely more even looking, and had a bit of the slight air-brushed look to it.

In the end, however, I couldn't reconcile the good with the bad.  I found my naturally flushed cheeks making an appearance after only a few hours of wear (causing me to conceal and powder like a madwoman), and by the end of the day, it looked as if I was wearing absolutely no makeup at all. And while I realize that was probably the point of having "Naked Skin", it just left my face looking a bit too naked for my taste, and I'll be taking it back to swap in for something with a bit more heft. Another bone I have to pick is with the color selection.  There is but one to choose from, and I honestly feel that my paler-skinned and darker-skinned friends alike were forgotten with this launch. And finally, I think that for the heavy price of $34, you should at least get more than that in mL of product!  I have just read that you can also use UD's Naked Skin as a base for your foundation, but I just love my Clarin's primer too much to want to switch it out for something else.  Now if you'll excuse my little (lol) rant, I'm going to go rub my wallet and wish for a new foundation!

5 comments:

  1. Shame this wasn't great! I've found that beauty balms are best for the at home days, although I find Dr Jart's is really nice! I have a natural flush too and can never get away without a bit of concealer on the cheeks!

    Laura xx - Black & Gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what this would be perfect for! Unfortunately it didn't wow me anywhere else :/ I've heard great things about Dr Jart's though, and would be more than willing to give it a run! x

      Delete
  2. Great review, I was very tempted to pick this up after my spending ban, but after trying one too many BB creams that fade away after a few hours, I think i'll skip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good choice if you're the "No makeup" makeup fan, but for stronger coverage, definitely steer clear! x

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about picking this up as i love the whole Naked range by UD but i think i better try a sample before i committe to the whole thing.

    Great review :) just stumbled across your blog and had to follow! Would love it if you'd take a ittle peek through mine :D

    Sophia Meola | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...