The Drugstore Repurchases

Monday, January 14, 2013



As some of you may know, it's more often than not that I can be found prattling on about a new beauty discovery here on my little blog.  While the new-fangled and fresh-off-the-truck products have a tendency to win me over with their newness, it's those that I've held on to and repurchased over the years that are making the cut into today's post.

When I read Anna's (whose blog I read every morning over breakfast) post about her high end repurchases, I knew I wanted to talk about something similar here on my own blog, but to focus instead on the more affordable side of things.  It's all well and good to blabber on and on about a shiny new purchase (as witnessed by the empty echoes inside my wallet at the moment), but it's those products that have delivered time and again and that have become mainstays in my collection that I think deserve equal, if not more attention.

I may have neglected to mention these little gems up until now, but that in no way reflects upon their quality.  John Frieda's Frizz Ease Dream Curls Curl Perfecting Spray (phew!) has been a permanent staple in my hair care routine for a good four years now.  I cannot go a hair washing without spritzing some of this magic in a bottle onto my curls as a final styling product.  I find it moisturizes my curls, making them bouncy and frizz free, and leaves them silky soft and without that horrid stiff, crunchy feeling (last time I checked, ramen-noodle hair was so 1999).  I've probably bought about twelve of these little bottles ever since I came upon it back in 2009, and unless something even better comes along, I don't see why I won't buy another twelve in the next four years to come!  The price varies depending upon where you buy, but usually sits right around the 7-dollar mark.  I always have a back-up on hand, and tend to stock up when it's on a 2 for 1 offer (which is quite a lot!).

In terms of my Maybelline Line Stiletto liquid liner (you may have heard me wax poetic about this if you've seen some of my youtube videos), I have tried to go without, but nothing has quite lived up to the Maybelline standard.  I was introduced to this back in 2009 by my then roommate, and current best friend, and I immediately took it and ran with it.  It applies very smoothly, and definitely takes the hassle out of applying liquid liner.  Even after all of this time, I am still somewhat of a noob when it comes to eyeliner, and only ever happen to make it look presentable if I get lucky, but because I can get my fingers down so close to the applicator (which makes drawing straight lines exponentially easier for me), I tend to get lucky more often than not.  The only downside of it is that as it ages, the formula gets a bit flakier, and may not wear as long on the eye.  Luckily for me, this little liner is easily located in most drugstores, so replenishing my stocks has never been an issue.

Do you have any drugstore (or high end) mainstays in your collection?  I'd love to hear any of your suggestions and what you repurchase time and again.  I'm prepared to start rearranging my budget...


8 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Sephora's liquid eyeliner? It costs $12. I only wear it like 3-4 times a week and it has lasted me almost a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never! Sounds like a solid investment, as my little Maybelline one is right around the same price. Hmm..thanks for the rec! x

      Delete
  2. I keep going back to Line Stiletto! I keep hearing about the Loreal liner but I just don't think it lives up to the Maybelline one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason, the applicator for the Loreal liner is SUPER long which just makes it impossible for me to apply. You need the steadiest of hands to make it look even halfway decent, and I just don't have the talent!

      Delete
  3. How is the finish on the Maybelline Line Stiletto? Is it shiny? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the slightest bit shiny, but yeah it's definitely not matte. x

      Delete
  4. My mainstay (and in my mind indispensable)- and highend - hair products are from the Bamboo line. I wash my hair with Bamboo Smooth Anti-Frizz Shampoo followed by Bamboo Smooth Anti-Frizz Conditioner. These products are pricey - $20 USD - but are good for color treated hair and leave my hair very soft - especially the conditioner. I've also used Bamboo Silk-Sleek Brilliance Cream to add shine and before I iron my hair but find that this product does not do anything in particular for my hair. It may work for someone else's hair (mine is thick, fine and a tiny bit wavey) but does not work in anywhere near the fantastic way that the shampoo and conditioner do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These definitely sound like they're worth a look! x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...