Adios, 2012.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013


Before I get into my resolutions for the new year, I'm going to be completely candid here and say that 2012 was quite possibly my least favorite year ever.  Not necessarily in history, but in my 22 and a half years, for sure.  There were some highlights, but there were far more low points, and without going into too much detail, let's just say that I've been ready to jump feet first into 2013 for a good 7 months.  A fresh start and a new beginning is just what I've been needing, and even if there are just a few seconds separating one year from the next, I can honestly say I've never been more excited for New Year's Eve in my life.

Now, to be completely honest, I have actually never even made any New Year's resolutions, let alone stuck to an idea I might have had in my head, but I wanted this year to be different.  I figured I should start by writing out a list of things that I want to work on for myself, whatever they be.  I may or may not tackle all of these in full this year, but I thought it'd be nice to have all of my ideas in one place.  Not to mention I'm one of those people who is dead certain they'll remember to do something, only to forget about it not five minutes later.  So, without further ado, I present my resolutions.

1. Slow down.  I am known for being very impatient at times, and quick to get things done, just for the sake of having finished it.  I need to remember to stay present, because I may actually enjoy the process of getting things done that way, rather than worrying about the end result.  This year, I want to take time to actually slow down and do things right, because hurrying through the writing of a blog post, or rushing to buy something too quickly just because standing around the shop for twenty minutes might look awkward, only leads to mistakes and regret.

2. Don't stress the little shit.  For whatever reason, I've always been very susceptible to anxiety.  I smell chimney smoke, and automatically think someone's house is on fire.  It's bad.  But I've been learning that taking each moment as it comes is the best thing you can do with an anxiety disorder.  In the new year, and indeed right now, I have to remind myself that shit happens, and worrying about whether or not it will happen will absolutely not affect future events.

3. Get more sleep.  There's no sidestepping the fact that I am a night owl.  I have been known to stay up to watch the moon set and the sun rise on many occasions because I couldn't sleep, or just plain didn't want to.  But I began to notice my mood decline and my anxiety levels spike whenever I got less that adequate amounts of sleep.  When I get a full night's rest, I feel like a Disney princess or something, like the world is my oyster!  It is my new goal to set a bedtime and actually stick to it.

4. Go out more.  I live not forty minutes outside of New York City, and I don't visit it even half as much as I'd like to.  There are so many events, workshops, organizations, even museum exhibits that I could be attending, yet I rarely take advantage of all of these options.  No more wasted opportunities!

5. Read more books.  Self explanatory, really.  I don't read enough, and I want to change that.

6. Say "Yes" more.  I often miss out on new experiences or even experiences I've had before, simply because I get scared.  I'm afraid that I'll have a bad time, or that no one will talk to me, or that I'll somehow embarrass myself by falling or having nothing to say or something equally as minimal.  I'm tired of missing out because of my reservations.  There's probably a quote about regrets and a life not lived, but I can't be bothered to think of it right now.

7. Use common sense.  I say this in terms of everything.  Nobody needs two huge slices of cake, and if I'm going to lose weight, I'll need to exercise.  I can't just expect the weight to lose itself.  But of course, everything in moderation, including moderation.

I feel like this whole post is just a huge pile of word-vomit, but it's going to stay the way it is.  I like my resolutions because they're personal, and they mean a lot to me.  They might be simple, but that's what I want to be.  If there's anything that 2012 has taught me, it's that simple is what works for me.

Now enough with the serious talk.  It's time to slap on the party shoes, pop into the champagne, and just dance!  Happy New Year everybody, may we all have a super fabulous NYE and a flippin amazing 2013.  Happy partying!!


*Image courtesy of WeHeartIt.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New year Amelia!!!

    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!!!

    See the details here: http://www.lipstickandponytails.com/2013/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list for the new year, good advice for everyone. Hope you had a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, I hope you had a nice and special NYE!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...