Sick Day Pick Me Ups

Wednesday, November 28, 2012


As you may have been able to glean from some of my previous posts, I've been sick.  Nothing too terrible, just a really bad cold that has had me inside for two days, bunking off work and watching old episodes of Dexter.  I very rarely get sick, so having this cold has been more of an annoyance than I'd like to admit, but I thought I'd share with you what I did to either speed up recovery, or make it look like I wasn't sick at all (almost).

As I'm sure your parents have told you in your childhood, or almost all movies in which the main character gets a cold, you know it's important to consume hot liquids when sick.  In my case, tea was the thing to drink.  Sleepytime tea is basically chamomile tea with mint, and it does just the trick to keep my throat soothed and send me off into a seriously restful sleep.  Adding honey to it, or just eating a spoon of it on its own will help quiet a nasty cough, if only for a short while.  And you can't forget the Ricola!

In terms of the condition of my skin during a cold, mine gets super dried out.  Gross, yes, but it's true.  For areas that need it more, I've been using Boots's Super Face Balm (review) to insert moisture right where it's needed (that sounded wrong).  My new Caudalie beauty elixir (well, it's new to me) has provided some serious aromatherapy benefits, not to mention it makes my skin look a bit more healthy and glowy.  Benefit's Moon Beam highlighter also comes in handy here, by giving the skin the sheen it's been missing.  A good concealer will also be your best friend when you're sick, if like me, no matter how much sleep you get you always seem to have dark circles.  My Bobbi Brown corrector in Peach and my new Aveda concealer have helped immensely if ever I needed to leave the house.

And last but not least, the lips!  If you find your nose stuffed up beyond any possibility of even breathing through it, you've probably been breathing solely through your mouth.  This can create quite a gross situation on the lips, as soon they may become dry and super chapped.  LUSH's Sweet Lips lip scrub has helped me to slough off the dead skin, and Blistex's Medicated chap stick has added the necessary moisture back into my pout.

Hopefully this post doesn't find you as sick as I am, but if it does, I hope that some of these tips help you to feel better, rest easier, and look healthier.  Whatever the case, thank you so much for reading and if you are sick, feel better!!


6 comments:

  1. Aww! I'm sorry. Hope you feel better Amelia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've had just about the last of the worst today :)

      Delete
  2. I want to try the Sweet Lips scrub! I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling a lot better now, thanks! In terms of the scrub, I do like it a lot as it's convenient and extremely easy to use, but I also think it's crazy over-priced. I wish they would knock just a few dollars off it to make it a bit more affordable.

      Delete
  3. Super interesting post, I have been thinking about writing one too, but I have been lucky as of yet and didn't catch a cold - yet! I love Celestial Tea Herbal Tea, so yummy and the best of all - it works! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that tea the best?? It's so calming. I hope your luck continues because being sick is miserable! x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...