Ginger HEAVEN | Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Intensive Treatment

Saturday, October 20, 2012




Oh hey, don't mind me.  I'm just currently flailing on the floor in ecstasy over the scent of this hair treatment, nbd.  How did I get here?  I'll tell you.  I simply opened the top, had a sniff, and promptly fell backwards, the scent is THAT. GOOD.

Pros:
No but in all seriousness, I really did fall backwards after smelling this.  I don't know what Paul Mitchell got up to in his little lab o' hair, but I for one am not complaining.  If the sound of ginger milk floats your boat, then this intensive hair treatment will not disappoint!  The gingery scent doesn't hang around all day after washing your hair, but you'll be searching for ways to discreetly smell yourself for at least a few hours.

If you, like I was initially, are wondering what Awapuhi is, allow me to enlighten you.  It is essentially a really fancy word for tropical ginger plants.  Interestingly enough, supposedly all of the awapuhi that has ever been used in Paul Mitchell's hair care line of the same name, has come from Hawaiian land that he and business partner John Paul DeJoria purchased back in the 1980s.  Awapuhi juice has also been known to be used by Hawaiian natives to moisturize the hair and skin.  Pretty neat, yeah?

Cons:
In terms of product effectiveness however, good old Paul sort of missed the mark for me.  This treatment was specially formulated for individuals with damaged hair, and is supposedly ideal for those with color treated or chemically processed hair (guilty), but to be completely honest, I don't think it's effective enough to justify the price.  I bought the smallest size I could find, which is 3.4 oz/100 ml, and I think after all was said and done, I still spent almost $20 on it!

This is one of those products whose effectiveness gets more apparent the longer you leave it on, so if you have the time to leave it in your hair for more than the recommended 5 minutes (I leave it in an average of 10-15 minutes), I say go for it.  I did notice that my hair was a little softer after using this a few times, but unfortunately that was about it.  My frizz was little improved, and this product can weigh the hair down.  Paul does offer a little disclaimer on the bottle however, that goes something like 'If this doesn't work, it's because you didn't buy this at a hair salon, ok.'  I would still like to try other products from Paul Mitchell, most especially ones from his curly-haired line.  

On another note, I am still not over how beautiful this scent is, like when I say I love ginger, THIS is the scent I'm referring to.  If I could marry a smell, this would be it.

Well, I'm sure a good portion of you think I'm off my rocker by now, so I'll just wrap up the review here, but please do yourself the favor of at least smelling this product if you ever find yourself near it.  It is kind of hard to find, and I believe is mostly available in salons, but I got mine on Amazon.  Overall, I think this would work really well for people with damaged hair, as it definitely help with softness.  The only reason I was let down was because it was recommended to me as way to help fight frizz.  It doesn't do much for frizzy hair, but it will definitely lend a hand if you've got heat damage or color treated hair.


What are some of your favorite dry hair solutions?  Any product recommendations?



Thanks for reading!  Laters!



5 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog - I'm following you back.
    Thanks
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through the wonderland beauty blog hop :) I love the smell of ginger, one of my fave scents ever! Have you ever tried Philip Kingsley Elasticizer? I had a little sample bottle from a beauty box and it made my hair lovely and soft :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't tried that but I'll definitely be on the look out for a sample, sounds like you had great results! And ginger is definitely up there in top 5 scents for me too xx

      Delete
  3. mmm i'll be definitely smelling it if i find it on the shelves!

    new follower!

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for giving me a little look! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...