Current Hair Care Routine: Spiral Curls

Thursday, September 27, 2012


When I was younger, my hair was unruly, tangled, just an absolute mess, really (and that's putting it lightly).  I had absolutely no idea what to do with the frizzy triangle on my head that was posing as my hair.  In fact, I think I was a teenager before I even realized that I was the owner of potentially well-defined curls.  And it wasn't until I was eighteen that I actually figured out what my hair had been asking for all those years.  My hair needed moisture, and it needed it immediately!  That was when I put down the alcohol, and picked up the leave in conditioner, and I haven't looked back since.

Most of the products I use contain very little alcohol because I learned (rather late, I'll admit) that it can be very drying indeed (d'oh)!  I will occasionally use a shampoo, but never more than once a week, because my hair will dry out if I'm not careful.  I didn't include a picture of it, because I will literally use any shampoo that I can find in the bathroom, so I figured it wasn't worth mentioning.  My conditioner is the one product that I'm willing to experiment the most with, and even though I'm currently using the L'oreal Ever Creme one (which is pretty darn decent), I always seem to come back to John Frieda's Full Repair, and Neutrogena's Triple Moisture.  I comb my conditioner through my hair in the shower (never brush curly hair dry!).

I am also experimenting with intensive treatments at the moment.  Pictured is the Coppola Keratin Complex Vanilla Bean Deep Conditioner (phew, what a name!).  I like it enough, but I haven't given it a fair go yet in order to get a better feel for it.  So far it has made my hair pretty soft, but I can't really get over the scent.  I'm not the biggest fan of vanilla to begin with, but this conditioner kind of smells like vanilla mixed with public restroom soap to me!  Fortunately, your hair doesn't smell like this after using it.

I am currently testing the Shea Moisture smoothie, and I have to say it is much more like a pomade than anything else.  I think it would work well for girls with kinkier and thicker hair than mine, but it still does the job on my thinner, frizzy hair.  I have noticed that when using it, I can sleep on my hair and wake up essentially frizz free.  It's a miracle, I tell you!  However, I don't like the fact that I can almost immediately feel the product build up in my hair, plus the scent is a little overbearing.

Finally, the Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner and John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls spray; definite Holy Grail hair products for me!  In fact, I think the Dream Curls spray is my most repurchased hair care item.  This must be my seventh bottle, at least!  I use these two in conjunction with each other, and have done so for over a year now.  I just get the softest, frizz-less and most defined curls by using these two products together, and it will take a miracle product to sway me toward anything else!  

P.S. On one of my recent trips to Target, I discovered that they now carry the entire Mixed Chicks line, which is more than exciting because the only place I knew to buy them previously were from online retailers.  No shipping?  Definite score!

Anywho, that's all for today chummies,

Laters!

Amelia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read them all, and often reply here. For more direct questions, tweet me @TheNonBrit and I'll get back to you quickly. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...